Did you know well-placed furniture can open up a room and make rooms seem larger than they are? Or that opening drapes and blinds and turning on all lights make a room seem bright and cheery?
Did you know the scent of your home can leave a lasting effect on a potential buyer? Baking bread, cookies or a pie leaves an inviting fragrance.
It’s a fact: acquiring the highest market value and elevating your home above others in the same price range often comes down to first impressions.
Here are a few inexpensive ways to maximize your home’s appeal:
- Keep the grass freshly cut
- Remove all yard clutter
- Apply fresh paint to wooden fences and decks
- Paint the front door
- Weed and apply fresh mulch to garden beds
- Clean windows inside and out
- Wash or paint the exterior
- Remove excessive wall hangings, furniture and knick knacks (you may want to consider renting a temporary storage unit)
- Clean or paint walls and ceilings
- Shampoo carpets
- Clean and organize cabinets and closets
- Repair all plumbing leaks, including faucets and drain traps
- Clean all light fixtures
- Turn on all the lights
- Open drapes in the daytime
- Keep pets secured outside
- Play quiet background music
- Light the fireplace, if seasonally appropriate
- Infuse home with a comforting scent like apple spice or vanilla
- Vacate the property while it is being shown